I found some scallops hiding in the back of my freezer, so I Macgyvered up this meal. Macgyver Meal = a meal created with the stuff you find in your kitchen (according to HK).
(1) Combine juice of 3 mandarins, soy sauce, garlic, ginger, brown sugar, mandarin zest, 2 scallions, 1/2 of the jalapeno (or to taste). Let scallops marinate in mixture for 3-5 minutes. You will notice that I broke my scallops up into pieces. Well, I found my scallops in questionable condition at the back of the freezer. Breaking them up allowed for more searing. If my scallops were nice and new, I may not have cut them.
(2) Heat 2 tablespoons of oil on medium heat. If you're keeping your scallops whole, sear each side for about 3 minutes. The scallop is done when it you see golden brown caramelization (spell check doesn't think that is a word, but I think it should be) of the marinade on each side of the scallop. If you have smaller pieces, sear each side for about 2 minutes. Remove scallops and set aside.
3) Cook soba noodles according to package directions.
4) Add marinade to the pan the scallops were in and turn the heat to low. The marinade will reduce to a syrupy sauce. My attempt to photograph this sauce resulted in a picture that resembled tar. Want to see? Oh, no. Blogger won't let me upload any more photos. Oh well. Probably for the best.
5) Meanwhile, in a separate pan, heat the last tablespoon of oil on medium heat and cook the spinach until just wilted. If you have broccoli or peapods or whatever other vegetable, steam them/grill them/cook them to your liking. No need to add too much seasoning because the sauce is quite flavorful.
6) When the sauce is the consistency of maple syrup (the fake kind), its done.
7) Pour the sauce over the noodles and mix in the spinach/vegetables, jalapeno, green onion and mandarin wedges. Add the sauce slowly and taste it as you go along. The sauce is super sweet and rich, so too much would be overwhelming. Add the scallops (or eat them along side the noodles). Top with fresh mint. Bon apetit!